All about us
Wellington Photographic Society
WPS encourages the study and practice of photography. It provides high quality stimulating events, opportunities for learning and promotes an appreciation of the aesthetics of photography. Our meetings are run on a fairly informal basis and you can be sure to learn something new at every meeting – whether you have been interested in photography for years or just starting out.
The programme of meetings and activities for the year are regularly updated and can be found by going to www.wps.org.nz. At our meetings, you get the chance to listen to and meet some of New Zealand’s established and up & coming photographers.
You also have the opportunity to share your own photography and to receive feedback from other members. A number of field trips are planned throughout the year where members get together at different locations and have fun making photographs.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with any of our Committee Members and we look forward to seeing you at a meeting soon.
THE AIM OF THE SOCIETY IS TO ENCOURAGE PARTICIPATION AND HELP MEMBERS DEVELOP CONFIDENCE IN THEIR PHOTOGRAPHY. WE PROVIDE A DIVERSE PROGRAMME OF ACTIVITIES AND WE ARE SURE YOU WILL FIND THAT THE SOCIETY HAS PLENTY TO OFFER YOU.
Some great reasons to become part of the club.
- Experience & Learn – Do you enjoy taking photos? Enjoy getting out and about with your camera? Enjoy learning about new photographic techniques and sharing your knowledge and experience with others?
- Photowalks & Field Trips– We have regular social photowalks and field trips, which involve getting outdoors with your camera and taking photos of all sorts of things. Some recent trips include a photowalk around the Cuba St, a sunset photoshoot at Miramar Peninsula, and a photowalk in the Botanic Gardens. Occasionally we organize longer trips farther afield. Past trips have included photographing the Wairarapa Balloon Festival, Spring Flowers at the Botanical Gardens, and other adventures down on the South Coast.
- Member Competitions – These are a great chance to have your work critiqued by an experienced judge. Members are able to submit multiple per meeting. Comments and feedback are given for all images submitted. 1st, 2nd and highly commended placings are awarded, with points being aggregated towards annual trophies.
- Exhibitions – The pinnacle event of the year is our annual Exhibition which is held at a public gallery towards the end of the year. Members are asked to submit the best of their year’s photographic work, then a panel of experienced members select around 50 images to present in the Exhibition. For many of our members this is a wonderful experience to exhibit their work.
- Networking –As a member of the society, you have the support, networking opportunities and friendship of your peers who share your photographic interests. Being a member of WPS offers a great opportunity to try out new techniques and styles of photography with the support of others.
- Workshops – Workshops are great for learning photography tips from experienced photographers. They will walk you through their experiences and work with you to create images and learn new skills.